Friday, October 18, 2019

Japan Part 3: Amami Island

The Amami islands are something I had not heard of, and judging by the lack of other people visiting there I'd say I'm not alone in that. However, if you imagine Hawaii but with Japanese culture you'd be close (at least superficially). The reason we ended up there is hard to explain, so I just won't.

However, I will explain that we hung out and ate excellent Italian (yes, really) food at the Paradise Inn and stayed at the wonderful, and inexplicably named Villa Funny. If you ever have a hankering to visit a place with deserted beaches, goat milk ice cream, and a small but eclectic selection of tourist attractions you could do well on Amami.

Someone's been paying attention...


Mangroves in Japan. Japangroves?

An overcrowded beach on Amami

Strange fruit

Tropical goats

Another one of those beaches, over-run with a tourist.

Paddling home

The deck at Villa funny. Not particularly funny, but very nice indeed.