Friday, October 18, 2019

Forty-two

In the aftermath of Aiste's 2nd birthday party, which I think we'll be discovering the debris of for months to come... here's something about my birthday and me in general.

Back before I spent most of my time distracted by two small (but rapidly growing) reproductions of myself and Lina... I mostly spent most of my time distracted by bikes. To be honest, I do still spend quite a lot of time distracted by bikes. So, in my 42nd year of life I was amused to find out I was ranked 42 in our district in my BMX racing class.  The fact I have a BMX race ranking for the first time at the age of 42 is perhaps even more amusing in itself, but let's not get into that.

It's like "Where's Waldo", but not so much fun
Since bikes are so important, I decided to attempt to keep myself relevant this year and sell one of my "old" bikes and buy a new one. After a great deal of time wasted on the internet investigating fashion-bikes, I essentially bought the new version of what I had before. This one was made by someone in Taiwan instead of Chris Dekerf in Richmond, and whilst I will never know the name of the person in Taiwan who put this frame together, I can say that they did it very nicely - thank you whoever you are. Over Thanksgiving, Jacek commented that this bicycle looks very long at the front and very short at the back. I think that pretty much sums up everything important about it, other than that it's yellow.

A yellow bike. It's like an orange bike, but more zesty.
My actual 42nd anniversary of life happened on Amami Island (refer to previous blog post), and notably involved catching the best wave I caught of the trip, on a deserted beach, at sunset. So that was good. It also involved a party at some kind of holiday camp with an alarmingly steep driveway. It was all quite unexpected and excellent.

Pesky kid getting in on my birthday action

I was told that's my name... but I should probably confirm that.
I'm no numerologist... but when I showed up to my first cyclocross race of the season, can you imagine what I would not have expected my (randomly-assigned) race number to be? Yes, it was 42. Clearly, evidence of a mystical alignment of forces beyond our comprehension (probably mice).

Not evidence since you can't seem my number, but you can see that I enjoyed this pile of sand.
In summary, I'm 42, my race number is 42, and perhaps it's all to do with mice. I have a couple of 'cross races left this year, and I'm going to ask if they have 42 left in the box... just in case.