Sunday, March 6, 2011

Up the Duffey

This weekend I had an unexpected experience - I got the chance to stay at McEwan`s Farm in Pemberton, which I now know I`ll have to come back to in the summer to sample excellent U-pick strawberries. I met the horses, cows, calves, and cats... and ate part of a 300lbs Elk, and some apple crisp. We visited the Blackbird Bakery in Pemberton, which produced one of the finest croissants my ongoing search has found in North America. Amongst all this wholesome farmyard activity and gluttony.. we went skiing too. Excellent.

Despite an alarming number of my skiing friends choosing to attach their heels to their skis these days, we had a strong tele-turnout this weekend and were rewarded with fine snow. We climbed to Mt Chief Pascal on Saturday in hot sun and worked our way across to the shady spots to find the good snow before the sun cooked it into a crusty feast. After numerous attempts in the past, I think we found the "right way" down this time through cuts in the forest and a fun run back down to the road. Sunday brought some clouds and flurries, but joined by SJ and Alex we got a couple of great long runs in under Mt Cayoosh.

More photos here. Thank you to Jason, his family, and the farmyard animals for a fantastic weekend!

Climbing Mt Chief Pascal on Saturday
Luisa riding the line between light and darkness